Adverse Health Events Related to Self-Medication Practices Among Elderly: A Systematic Review
Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2017
Published online: 28 February 2017
Effects of a giant exercising board game intervention on ambulatory physical activity among nursing home residents: a preliminary study
Clinical Interventions in Aging 2017:12 847–858
Published online: 22 May 2017
Health Outcomes of Sarcopenia: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
PLoS ONE 12(1): e0169548
Published: January 17, 2017
How clinical practitioners assess frailty in their daily practice: an international survey
Aging Clin Exp Res
Published online: 02 August 2017
Influence of environmental factors on food intake among nursing home residents: a survey combined with a video approach
Clinical Interventions in Aging 2017:12
Published: 4 July 2017
Nutrition and physical activity in the prevention and treatment of sarcopenia: systematic review
Osteoporos Int (2017) 28:1817–1833
Published online: 1 March 2017
Occurrence of Clinical Bone Fracture Following a Prolonged Stay in Intensive Care Unit: A Retrospective Controlled Study
Calcif Tissue Int
Published online: 10 July 2017
Prediction of the Incidence of Falls and Deaths Among Elderly Nursing Home Residents: The SENIOR Study
JAMDA xxx (2017) 1-7
Prelevance of concomitant bone and muscle wasting in elderly women from the sarcophage cohort: preliminary results
The Journal of Frailty & Aging©
Accepted for publication June 28, 2016
Prevalence of frailty in nursing home residents according to various diagnostic tools
The Journal of Frailty & Aging©
Accepted for publication March 9, 2017
Prevalence of sarcopenia in a population of nursing home residents according to their frailty status: results of the SENIOR cohort
Journal of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions
Accepted 20 June 2017
Quality of life assessment in musculoskeletal health
Aging Clin Exp Res
Published online: 29 June 2017
Relationship between ambulatory physical activity assessed by activity trackers and physical frailty among nursing home residents
The Journal of Nursing Home Research Sciences
Volume 1, 2015
Skeletal health in breast cancer survivors
Accepted 11 August 2017
The Future Prevalence of Sarcopenia in Europe: A Claim for Public Health Action
Calcif Tissue Int (2017) 100:229–234
Published online: 24 December 2016
Vitamin D and osteosarcopenia: an update from epidemiological studies
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2017, 20:000–000
Volume 20 - Number 00 - Month 2017
Androgens have antiresorptive effects on trabecular disuse osteopenia independent from muscle atrophy
Bone 93 (2016) 33–42
Frailty and bone health in European men
Age and Ageing 2016; 0: 1–7
Change in Bone Mineral Density Is an Indicator of Treatment-Related Antifracture Effect
Annals of Internal Medicine • Vol. 166 No. 2
Bone turnover predicts change in volumetric bone density and bone geometry at the radius in men
Osteoporos Int (2017) 28:935–944
Endocrine determinants of incident sarcopenia in middle-aged and elderly European men
Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle 2015; 6: 242–252
Clinical usefulness of bone turnover marker concentrations in osteoporosis
Bone markers during acute burn care: Relevance to clinical practice?
High Serum Sclerostin Levels Are Associated with a Better Outcome in Haemodialysis Patients
How the reference values for serum parathyroid hormone concentration are (or should be) established?
J Endocrinol Invest
A Randomised, Cross-Over Study to Estimate the Influence of Food on the 25-Hydroxyvitamin D3 Serum Level after Vitamin D3 Supplementation
Nutrients 2016, 8, 309
Serum PTH reference values established by an automated third-generation assay in vitamin D-replete subjects with normal renal function: consequences of diagnosing primary hyperparathyroidism and the classification of dialysis patients
European Journal of Endocrinology
Pain and analgesic use associated with skeletal-related events in patients with advanced cancer and bone metastases
Support Care Cancer (2016) 24:1327–1337
Bone health in the elderly cancer patient: A SIOG position paper
Cancer Treatment Reviews 51 (2016) 46–53
Traitements inhibiteurs de la résorption osseuse en situation métastatique : bilan actuel et perspectives
Oncologie (2015) 17:117-126
Safety of long-term denosumab therapy: results from the open label extension phase of two phase 3 studies in patients with metastatic breast and prostate cancer
Support Care Cancer (2016) 24:447–455
Patients’ preferences for bone metastases treatments in France, Germany and the United Kingdom
Support Care Cancer (2015) 23:21–28
The role of biochemical of bone turnover markers in osteoporosis and metabolic bone disease: a consensus paper of the Belgian Bone Club
Gorham–Stout disease of the proximal fibula treated with radiotherapy and zoledronic acid
Journal of Bone Oncology 4 (2015) 42–46
Health resource utilization associated with skeletal-related events: results from a retrospective European study
Eur J Health Econ
The role of denosumab in the prevention of hypercalcaemia of malignancy in cancer patients with metastatic bone disease
European Journal of Cancer (2015) 51, 1467– 1475
Hypocalcaemia in patients with metastatic bone disease treated with denosumab
European Journal of Cancer (2015) 51, 1812– 1821
Effects of Dairy Products Consumption on Health: Benefits and Beliefs - A Commentary from the Belgian Bone Club and the European Society for Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases
Calcif Tissue Int (2016) 98:1–17
Targeting bone metastases in prostate cancer: improving clinical outcome
Body, J.-J. et al. Nat. Rev. Urol. 12, 340–356 (2015)
Adjuvant bisphosphonates in early breast cancer: consensus guidance for clinical practice from a European Panel
Annals of Oncology 27: 379–390, 2016
Aesthetic discomfort in hand osteoarthritis: results from the LIège Hand Osteoarthritis Cohort (LIHOC)
Arthritis Research & Therapy Volume 17: 346, 2015.
Bone turnover markers predict hip bone loss in elderly European men: results of the European Male Ageing Study (EMAS)
Osteoporosis International Volume 26 Issue 2: 617–627, 2015.
Estimation of sarcopenia prevalence using various assessment tools
Experimental Gerontology 61: 31–37, 2015.
Vitamin D supplements with or without calcium to prevent fractures
BoneKEy Reports 3 Article number 512, 2014.
Goal-directed treatment of osteoporosis in Europe
Osteoporosis International Volume 25 Issue 11: 2533-2543, 2014.
Bone forming agents for the management of osteoporosis
Panminerva Medica Volume 56 Issue 2: 97-114, 2014.
An algorithm recommendation for the management of knee osteoarthritis in Europe and internationally: A report from a task force of the European Society for Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis (ESCEO)
Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism Volume 44 Issue 3: 253-263, 2014.
A reference case for economic evaluations in osteoarthritis: An expert consensus article from the European Society for Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis (ESCEO)
Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism Volume 44 Issue 3: 271-282, 2014.
The effects of vitamin D on skeletal muscle strength, muscle mass and muscle power: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism Volume 99 Issue 11: 4336-4345, 2014.
Osteoporosis in patients taking selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: a focus on fracture outcome
New York, NY: Springer Science+Business Media, 2014.
Monitoring of osteoporosis therapy
Best Practice & Research Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 28: 835-841, 2014.
Efficacy and safety of currently marketed anti-osteoporosis medications
Best Practice & Research Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 28: 809-834, 2014.
Effects of vitamin D in the elderly population: current status and perspectives
Archives of Public Health Volume 72 Issue 32, 2014.
Can new information and communication technologies help in the management of osteoporosis?
Women’s Health Volume 10 Issue 3: 229–232, 2014.
Management of osteoporosis of the oldest old
Osteoporosis International 25: 2507–2529, 2014.
The role of the dairy products in the prevention of osteoporosis in Belgium (FR)
The role of the dairy products in the prevention of osteoporosis in Belgium (NL)
- Bouillon R, Van Schoor NM, Gielen E, Boonen S, Mathieu C, Vanderschueren D, Lips P. Optimal Vitamin D Status: A Critical Analysis on the Basis of Evidence-Based Medicine. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism Volume 98 Issue 8: E1283-E1304, 2013.
- Laurent M, Gielen E, Claessens F, Boonen S, Vanderschueren D. Osteoporosis in older men: Recent advances in pathophysiology and treatment. Best Practice & Research Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism Volume 27 Issue 4: 527–539, 2013.
- Verschueren S, Gielen E, O'Neill TW, Pye SR, Adams JE, Ward KA, Wu FC, Szulc P, Laurent M, Claessens F, Vanderschueren D, Boonen S. Sarcopenia and its relationship with bone mineral density in middle-aged and elderly European men. Osteoporosis International Volume 24 Issue 1: 87-98, 2013.
- Beaudart C, Maquet D, Mannarino M, Buckinx F, Demonceau M, Crielaard JM, Reginster JY, Bruyère O. Effects of 3 months of short sessions of controlled whole body vibrations on the risk of falls among nursing home residents. BMC Geriatrics Volume 13 Issue 42, 2013.
- Buckinx F, Beaudart C, Maquet D, Demonceau M, Crielaard JM, Reginster JY, Bruyère O. Evaluation of the impact of 6-month training by whole body vibration on the risk of falls among nursing home residents, observed over a 12-month period: a single blind, randomized controlled trial. Aging Clinical and Experimental Research Volume 26 Issue 4: 369-376, 2013.
- Bishop N, Adami S, Ahmed SF, Antón J, Arundel P, Burren CP, Devogelaer JP, Hangartner T, Hosszú E, Lane JM, Lorenc R, Mäkitie O, Munns CF, Paredes A, Pavlov H, Plotkin H, Raggio CL, Reyes ML, Schoenau E, Semler O, Sillence DO, Steiner RD. Risedronate in children with osteogenesis imperfecta: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 382: 1424–1432, 2013.
- Rizzoli R, Reginster JY, Arnal JF, Bautmans I, Beaudart C, Bischoff-Ferrari H, Biver E, Boonen S, Brandi ML, Chines A, Cooper C, Epstein S, Roger A. Fielding, Goodpaster B, Kanis JA, Kaufman JM, Laslop A, Malafarina V, Mañas LR, Mitlak BH, Oreffo RO, Petermans J, Reid K, Rolland Y, Sayer AA, Tsouderos Y, Visser M, Bruyère O. Quality of Life in Sarcopenia and Frailty. Calcified Tissue International 93: 101–120, 2013.
- Mathieu M, Rigutto S, Ingels A, Spruyt D, Stricwant N, Kharroubi I, Albarani V, Jayankura M, Rasschaert J, Bastianelli E, Gangji V. Decreased pool of mesenchymal stem cells is associated with altered chemokines serum levels in atrophic nonunion fractures. Bone Volume 53 Issue 2: 391-398, 2013.
- Boonen S, Luyten F, Vanderschueren D, Gielen E, Borghs H, Goemaere S. Medische preventie van osteoporotische breuken bij patiënten behandeld met glucocorticoïden. Tijdschrift voor Geneeskunde Volume 68 Issue 12: 612-620, 2012.
- Verbrugge FH, Gielen E, Milisen K, Boonen S. Who should receive calcium and vitamin D supplementation?. Age and Ageing Volume 41 Issue 5: 576-580, 2012.
- Gielen E, Verschueren S, O'Neill TW, Pye SR, O'Connell MD, Lee DM, Ravindrarajah R, Claessens F, Laurent M, Milisen K, Tournoy J, Dejaeger M, Wu FC, Vanderschueren D, Boonen S. Musculoskeletal Frailty: A Geriatric Syndrome at the Core of Fracture Occurrence in Older Age. Calcified Tissue International Volume 91 Issue 3: 161–177, 2012.
- Bruyère O, Nicolet D, Compère S, Rabenda V, Jeholet P, Zegels B, Maassen P, Pire G, Reginster JY. Perception, knowledge, and use by general practitioners of Belgium of a new WHO tool (FRAX) to assess the 10-year probability of fracture. Rheumatology International Volume 33 Issue 4: 979–983, 2012.
- Rabenda V, Bruyère O, Reginster JY. Risk of nonvertebral fractures among elderly postmenopausal women using antidepressants. Bone Volume 51, Issue 4: 674–679, 2012.
- Bruyère O, Fossi M, Zegels B, Leonori L, Hiligsmann M, Neuprez A, Reginster JY. Comparison of the proportion of patients potentially treated with an anti-osteoporotic drug using the current criteria of the Belgian national social security and the new suggested FRAX criteria. Rheumatology International Volume 33 Issue 4: 973-978, 2012.
- Bruyère O, Nicolet D, Compère S, Rabenda V, Jeholet P, Zegels B, Maassen P, Pire G, Reginster JY. Perception, knowledge, and use by general practitioners of Belgium of a new WHO tool (FRAX) to assess the 10-year probability of fracture. Rheumatology International Volume 33 Issue 4: 979-983, 2012.
- Bruyère O, Detilleux J, Chines A, Reginster JY. Relationships Between Changes in Bone Mineral Density or Bone Turnover Markers and Vertebral Fracture Incidence in Patients Treated with Bazedoxifene. Calcified Tissue International 91: 244–249, 2012.
- Hiligsmann M, Bruyère O, Roberfroid D, Dubois C, Parmentier Y, Carton J, Detilleux J, Gillet P, Reginster JY. Trends in hip fracture incidence and in the prescription of antiosteoporosis medications during the same time period in Belgium (2000-2007). Arthritis Care & Research Volume 64 Issue 5: 744-750, 2012.
- Dejaeger M, Gielen E, Vandewoude M, Milisen K, Laurent M, Vanderschueren D, Claessens F, Flamaing J, Verschueren S, Boonen S. Broosheid bij ouderen of "frailty": het geriatrisch kernsyndroom ontleed. Tijdschrift voor Geneeskunde Volume 67 Issue 22: 1059–1070, 2011.
- Gielen E, Vanderschueren D, Callewaert F, Boonen S. Osteoporosis in men. Best Practice & Research Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism Volume 25 Issue 2: 321–335, 2011.
- Bergmann P, Body JJ, Boonen S, Boutsen Y, Devogelaer JP, Goemaere S, Kaufman J, Reginster, JY Rozenberg S. Loading and skeletal development and maintenance. Journal of Osteoporosis 11: 786752, 2011.
- Rabenda V, Nicolet D, Beaudart C, Bruyère O, Reginster JY. Relationship between use of antidepressants and risk of fractures: a meta-analysis. Osteoporosis International 24: 121–137, 2011.
- Gangji V, De Maertelaer V, Hauzeur JP. Autologous bone marrow cell implantation in the treatment of non-traumatic osteonecrosis of the femoral head: Five year follow-up of a prospective controlled study. Bone Volume 49 Issue 5: 1005–1009, 2011.
- Callewaert F, Sinnesael M, Gielen E, Boonen S, Vanderschueren D. Skeletal sexual dimorphism: relative contribution of sex steroids, GH–IGF1, and mechanical loading. Journal of Endocrinology Volume 207 Issue 2: 127–134, 2010.
- Johansson H, Kanis JA, McCloskey EV, Odén A, Devogelaer JP, Kaufman JM, Neuprez A, Hiligsmann M, Bruyere O, Reginster JY. Publication validation FRAX tool Belgium. Osteoporosis International 22: 453–461, 2009.
- Orwoll E, Bilezikian J, Vanderschueren D. Osteoporosis in Men: The Effects of Gender on Skeletal Health. Waltham, MA: Academic Press, 2009.
Section 1 - Essentials of bone biology
Section 2 - Development and growth of the male skeleton
Section 3 - Skeletal genetics
Section 4 - Aging and the male skeleton
Section 5 - Nutritional issues
Section 6 - Sex steroids and the skeleton in men
Section 7 - Fractures in men
Section 8 - Metabolic bone disease in men
Section 9 - Diagnostic approach
Section 10 - Therapy
- Bruyere O, De Cock C, Mottet C, Neuprez A, Malaise O, Reginster JY. Low dietary calcium in European postmenopausal osteoporotic women. Public Health Nutrition Volume 12 Issue 1: 111–114, 2007.
- Bruyere O, Malaise O, Neuprez A, Collette J, Reginster JY. Prevalence of vitamin D inadequacy in European postmenopausal woman. Current Medical Research and Opinion Volume 23 Issue 8: 1939-1944, 2007.
- Gangji V, Hauzeur JP, Matos C, De Maertelaer V, Toungouz M, Lambermont M. Treatment of Osteonecrosis of the Femoral Head with Implantation of Autologus Bone-Marrow Cells. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Volume 86 Issue 6: 1153-1160, 2004.
- The IOF has launched a free online review journal to keep you abreast of the latest research in osteoporosis.